Thank You for Smoking
The film, Thank You for Smoking, was released in 2006. It is about Nick Naylor, the vice president and spokesperson for Big Tobacco, an advocacy group for the tobacco industry. The film explores the ways conflicting perspectives about smoking are represented in the community and the media.
To learn more about the film, check out these websites. There are links to reviews, trailers, commentaries and a blog by the directors about the film.
You will need to view the film Thank You for Smoking to complete these activities and worksheets.
1. Read about the techniques of spin.
Worksheet 1 (.doc 35 kB)
2. View the opening sequence of the film featuring the Joan Lunden Show.
Worksheet 2 (.doc 34 kB)
3. Nick explains to his son, Joey, what he does and how he is always right. View the amusement park sequence.
Worksheet 3 (.doc 34 kB)
4. Nick is sent on a task to test the morality of a dying man. View the Marlboro Man sequence.
Worksheet 4 (.doc 31 kB)
After you have completed the activities and worksheets, viewed the film again and read the notes in the Related text folio about Thank You for Smoking, complete the extended response task. You will need to use your own prescribed text in the extended response task.
Extended response task (.doc 37 kB)
Adbusters offers an activist commentary and perspectives about social, economic and political issues. Its presents a diversity of views and perspectives that challenge the ways we think and act.
You will need to use the Adbusters website to complete these activities and worksheets.
1. Deconstruct the Adbusters website and examine how the organisation represents its views.
Adbusters worksheet 1 (.doc 44 kB)
2. Adbusters Media Foundation has battled the large television corporations in Canada for over four years to be allowed to broadcast their advertisements.
Read about the ideological conflicts and legal battles concerning the censorship.
Adbusters worksheet 2 (.doc 35 kB)
3. Blackspot shoes is one of the most successful campaigns run by Adbusters. Examine the Blackspot Campaign at the Adbuster website and complete the work sheet.
Adbusters worksheet 3 (.doc 35 kB)
After you have completed the activities and worksheets, explored the website again and read the notes in the Related text folio about Adbusters, complete the extended response task. You will need to use your own prescribed text in the extended response task.
Extended response task (.doc 36 kB)